With 31 days dedicated to highlighting improved sleep, National Bed Month in March is the ideal time to work towards a better night’s sleep and your bed is the perfect place to start.
Lisa Artis of The Sleep Council says: “It’s about reassessing your sleep quality and comfort levels. Research shows buying a new bed can lead to a real improvement in sleep – up to an hour extra – and if you sleep better you feel much better.”
To help you determine if your bed has had its day – and night! Simply answer these quick questions from the Sleep Council below. If you answer ‘Yes’ to three questions, you’re not getting the best possible night’s sleep. Five or more ‘Yes’ answers and it’s time to buy a new bed.
- Is the mattress seven years old or more?
- Would it be embarrassing if neighbours saw it without its covers?
- Does it make suspicious noises in the night?
- Did you have your best recent night’s sleep in a bed other than yours?
- Are you waking up more frequently unrefreshed and aching?
- Do you and your partner roll towards each unintentionally in the middle of the night?
- Do you have enough space to sleep comfortably?
- Is it sagging?
- Does it feel lumpy in the night?
- Is the bed too small to give an undisturbed night’s sleep?
- Is the divan or base uneven or sagging?
- Are the legs and castors worn out?
Lisa explains: “The right bed is extremely important to health and wellbeing because our sleeping environment will affect the quality of our sleep – which in turn has a big effect on how well we feel, both physically and psychologically. A bed with the correct support, comfort and space will ensure you wake less, move about less, are less disturbed by your partner and are less likely to wake up feeling tired or aching.”
If you are sharing a bed with a partner, we recommend you to go as big as you can; a king size or super king size bed ideally. If you and a partner share a standard double bed (135cm/4ft 6in), each of you gets just 2ft 3in of space – less than a baby in a cot!
We also recommend you to take your time to try before you buy, because finding the ‘right’ comfort and support are very individual assessments. This is why, unlike other manufacturers, the Harmony Collection was created by our developers at Slumberland to offer a simple choice of feel. The different blend of components used to create each of our three ranges focuses entirely on the kind of support which feels best for you.
Plus, we are proudly approved members of the National Bed Federation so you can be sure you’re buying a UK made product that is safe, clean and honest.
If you’d like to explore the range further and speak to a valued and knowledgeable Slumberland stockist, then please click here to search for your local stockist.