What is Sleeptember?
Sleeptember is an exciting initiative running throughout September to remind everyone of the healthy benefits of a good night’s sleep.
Fitbit UK and Slumberland have partnered up this Sleeptember to raise awareness on the importance of getting at least 30 minutes of exercise a day in order to improve the quality of your sleep.
Regular exercise can help reduce stress levels, lower the risk for many diseases, and generally making us happier people. But the benefits do not stop there; daily exercise can also help improve the quality of your sleep.
Exercise produces a variety of physical effects that help improve the quality of sleep; boosting vitality and metabolism, relaxing the body and mind and reducing daytime sleepiness.
Exercise acts as a physical stressor to the body and the brain compensates for this stress by increasing deep sleep, so people tend to sleep soundly after a healthy workout.
We’re challenging you and a friend, partner or family member to get sweaty for 30 minutes a day throughout September to help you improve the quality of your sleep and for the chance to WIN yourselves a brand new Fitbit Blaze and Fitbit Alta!
The Fitbit Blaze and Fitbit Alta will help you continue your fitness journey in style, with all day activity tracking, reminders to move and auto sleep tracking.
To join the Sleeptember Challenge and for the chance to win the Fitbit Blaze and Fitbit Alta please follow the steps below:
- Like our Sleeptember Facebook post and tag a friend, partner or family member to join you in the Sleeptember challenge.
- Complete 30 minutes of exercise a day (we’ve given you some ideas below) from now until 6th October and post us your active selfies photos on the Slumberland Facebook page here to let us know how you’re getting on!
The winner will be picked at random and announced on Friday 7th October – Good luck and get moving for better sleep!
Getting 30 minutes of exercise a day shouldn’t be a chore, it’s just 2% of your day after all. Grab your friend or partner and get started with some of our simple 30 minute workout ideas below:
- Take a power walk (around 4,000 steps) this could be first thing in the morning, on your lunch break or in the evening.
- Go for a 2-3 mile run
- Hit the gym – try the treadmill and cross-trainer for 15 minutes each
- Go for a 5 mile cycle ride
- Swim half a mile (32 lengths of 25m pool)
- Play a game of tennis
- Skip for 5 minutes 6 times a day
- Play a game of football or netball
- Do a 30 minute yoga sequence
- Try a cardio workout video at home